Friday, November 1, 2013

Principle-Agent

A few years ago I was a waiter for a family friends bar/grill a few years ago. I was responsible for taking orders, maintaining the dining area and a little bit of bar tending. Furthermore, my boss expected me to always be proactive in the interaction with customers, not only to make sure customers wanted to keep coming back, but also because many of the customers were the boss' friends. 

While working, I  would answer and work for two principles; my boss and the customers. While my boss always expected me to treat/serve every customer the same, there were definitely times where I would perhaps go out of my way to avoid conflict. There were many times where the customer would try and get something for free, like sides or even drinks they said they never got, and rather than engaging in the conflict, I sometimes would just believe them and just get them what they wanted. Looking back, I probably would describe myself as a pretty crappy employee and I certainly would never do this now. But when I think about why I chose to do what I did, I really just wanted to avoid conflict and not get in a skirmish with the customer. My boss really trusted me, so I don't believe he knew what was going on, but I still feel even today that I betrayed that trust.

One time I had difficulty with the customer was when I had served a table some drinks and when their bill came, they said they never had those drinks. I poured them those drinks, so I really was not going to just write it off and let them have my drinks for free. Our conversations eventually led to my manager being called over, only to find out the customers I was arguing with where his friends from college. That put me in a very bad/awkward position because I was basically telling him his friends were trying to steal from him. Eventually he got them to pay but I really was even more careful around customers.

5 comments:

  1. I'd be curious whether your manager ever gave you instructions about how to handle such situations or if you had to figure that out on your own. The other issue is whether you thought the people you were serving were being intentionally dishonest or if they just didn't remember. If the former, and they were friends of your boss, that doesn't quite add up. If the latter, I'd forgive them in advance, but I'd want my manger's okay in doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what makes your scenario even more uncomfortable is the fact that many of the customers you had to serve were old friends of your boss. Almost like a lose-lose situation, because no matter what you did, there was a decent chance that both parties would be displeased. It sounds like after that happened you made a serious effort to avoid all conflict and let your boss lose without knowing it. From the situation with the friends, it seems like that may have been the path he would have preferred. I don't know what I would have done in the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were many customers who were my boss' friends and serving them really made me want to avoid conflict because of the reasons you listed above. Although I was friends with my boss, I was still an employee and I did not want to get into conflict with his friends.

      Delete
  3. In you example, I think your boss and manager should develop a manual for employer who faces such situations. It is always awkward to have customers who are the boss's friends and they want to take advantages or do something that contradict to your role. I also feel like that as long as your boss know the complexity of the situation, he should talk to his friends and make sure all situations happen will be fair and normal to the restaurant business. Also, trying to know about your boss's friends might be helpful. When they come again, you can definitely ask your boss whether he wants to provide them some free treats and things might go smoother.

    ReplyDelete